Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Teenage View

With school just starting again here recently, it inspired me to look through some of my old school projects and papers that I had saved.  I found a binder that I had made in a creative writing class and it was called "My Teenage View."  In this book, I found a paper that I had written and I just had to share...


FIRST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL
The alarm goes off; my summer has ended. My heart beats wildly as the realization of what lies ahead grasps a hold of my nerves. The first day of Freshman year!...Aaah!
I shut off my alarm and slowly rise out of my safe bed, hoping maybe this is all a dream and I'll soon wake up and still have at least half the summer left.
I feel a twinge of despair as my shower seems to sluice away the freedom I've had the past three months.
The clock's hands spin around its face as I attempt to give my churning stomach unwanted food. My hands tremble and my knees feel like rubber. My middle feels as though someone has tied me in knots and are still trying to pull me tighter even though I can budge no more.
It's one of the most important days of my life and, of course, my hair is frizzy, limp, and unmanageable while my face has seemed to accumulate polka dots overnight.
Time is going by oh so quickly! I find myself pacing a depression in the living room carpet and my already stubby fingernails are becoming shorter by the second. Then I hear the dreaded words: "Time to go-are you ready?" My mom is heading towards the door, smiling at me. I grab my bag and head nervously out the door and then get in the car. The trip to the immense, blue building was too short. As I enter, my stomach does start to unclench itself, but my nerves still feel as though they are going to climb out of my body. It's almost as though "FRESHMAN" is written on my forehead; I'm getting all these strange stares-oh my! Is it that obvious?! Fortunately I find my locker without much of a problem (that's probably because my boyfriend is standing right by it).
Through the day, my nerves quit dancing. Although I still have trouble keeping myself calm whenever the bell rings, for the thought of entering the neverending hallway, with the hundreds of people pushing, shoving, and stepping on me, is hard to get used to.
The last bell of the day finally rings and I am anxious to get the heck out of this place. I don't feel a complete sense of relief, however, until I'm through the door of my house and sitting peacefully on the living room couch. I have no homework, for all the teachers lectured on class rules, so I spend my evening relaxing, glad that the day is over. Later, I climb exhaustedly back in my bed and am about to fall asleep when...it hits me-I have to go back tomorrow!!!


Oh my goodness, that makes me laugh!  I hope you enjoyed it too.  I liked to write even then, but I definitely had a flare for the dramatic!  That's been quite a few years ago now (my 20-year *ahem* class reunion is coming up next year), but there are days that I still feel like that same nervous,  teenage girl pushing her way through the halls.  I guess now it's just the halls of life...

2 comments:

  1. you know the sad part is that I remember feeling that exact way and when I took my kids to register at Box Elder this last year, I kept thinking... this was sooooooooooooo different when I was here. LOL
    Thank you for reminding me that we've been out of there for 20 yrs... eeekkk are we really that old?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way! Lol...Yes, the place has change a lot hasn't it?!...Yeah, almost 20 years! Crazy right?! We're only as old as we feel and I don't feel that old, so we'll pretend it has only been 10! ;-]

      Delete