Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Letter to My Son

My son, Tate, just turned 5 years old on February 26.  I decided to share a letter that I wrote for him (I keep it in a special pocket in his baby book) just before his first birthday.


February 21, 2008




Dear Tate,

Your first birthday is just around the corner.  I can hardly believe how fast time has flown by!  You've changed so much in the past year.

It has all been such an amazing experience for me; the pregnancy, the delivery, the way I felt the first time that I saw you when they laid you on my chest just after you were born...and watching you grow, develop, explore, discover, and learn.  You look at the world with such awe, wonder, and innocence.

You bring such joy to my life.  You have quite the personality!  You have a temper and are showing a major independent streak, but you also have the sweetest spirit and love to cuddle.  At the moment, you are definitely a mama's boy...that's okay, I won't complain; you are already growing up too fast!

I look forward to every new day, just wondering what new things you are going to do, learn, or possibly say.  However, I don't want the days to come too quickly.  I want to enjoy these days as long as I can and I will always cherish them.  Just remember...even when these days are long gone and you've grown into the wonderful man I know you'll be...you'll always be my baby.  I love you so very much.

Love Always,
  Mom


Every word still rings true.  Time is still passing way to fast.  I can't believe how much he has changed.  It is still an amazing experience, watching him develop skills and learn new things.  He still looks at the world with awe and innocence, and oh how I wish it could always be that way; how great would it be if once in a while we could all view the world through the eyes of a child again.  I still look forward to each new day, but each new day, like each of his birthdays, is bittersweet.  He really is my greatest gift and my greatest challenge, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.  I will always love and cherish him, no matter what...and he will always be may baby...

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet letter. The love you have for him just oozes from this letter when I read it. Job well done mama. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back for loving him and raising him. It's a lost art these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shan!!.. So true! I worry about so many kids these days!

      Delete