Friday, January 20, 2012

Favorite-Recipe Friday: My Go-To Chili Recipe

Why Favorite-Recipe Friday, you ask? Well, what better time to try a new recipe than on the weekend?

It's winter and cold out, so what better time to make a big pot of chili. Here's my go-to recipe:

Ingredients:
•1.5 lbs lean ground beef
•1 small onion -or- 1/4 cup dried chopped onion
•1 tsp minced garlic (more or less to taste)
•2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
•1 tbsp Chili powder
•1 tbsp cumin
•2 tbsp sugar
•1 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp pepper
•1 tbsp parsley flakes
•1 15 oz can tomato sauce
•1 cup spicy V8 Juice®
•1 cup beef stock (gives it a slow-cooked flavor)
•2 cans Chili beans
•2 cans red beans (drained)
•2 cans pinto beans (drained)
•1 can pork & beans


Directions:
1. In a large pot, brown ground beef with onions and garlic.
2. Add tomato sauce, beef stock, V8 juice, & Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
3. Add dry ingredients and stir.*
4. Add cans of beans and stir.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring ocassionally.
6. Reduce heat to low, and cover.
7. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
8. Remove from heat, allow to cool and enjoy!


Tips:
•This recipe makes a very big pot of Chili, but it freezes very well, so that's a great option if you have a lot of leftovers; that's what I usually do.
•Try different bean combinations; kidney beans or black beans are a great alternative.
•Top with shredded cheese and sour cream if you like.
•My hubby likes to top his with salsa.
•Serve with crackers or corn chips.
•Mix all the dry ingredients together, in a small bowl, ahead of time to makes things a little quicker and easier.*


I hope you enjoy your Chili, and have a great weekend!

Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share? Send it to me and I will feature it on my blog. Better yet, consider doing a guest post with me.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good! Tip for next time? Share a photo of the chilli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!…Yes, great tip! I thought of it and then forgot. I'll definitely do that for the next recipe. :)

      Delete