Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A House and A Home

I sometimes look around at all the new, big, and fancy houses that seem to be popping up everywhere these days and I admit that I do get jealous because our house, though not tiny, is a smaller, modest, older home.  I find myself feeling down that we can't afford more right now.  There are a few reasons our financial situation isn't what it could be, but one of the main ones is that we decided to make a few sacrifices so that I would be able to be home with our son and then later, be able to work from home, which I do and love.  These are decisions that I don't regret, but do wish I could contribute more financially, especially when I see these beautiful homes...

Lately, however, it hasn't bothered me as much because the money situation will get better in time and there is light at the end of the tunnel.  An even bigger reason though is what so many people have said when they have been in our home.  I've had one friend say, "I just love your house, it is so dang cute!" Our neighbor, who comes to visit quite often, always makes comments on how I have it decorated and she says, "I just love it in here."  We have another friend who has commented on more than one occasion that he loves coming to our house because it's so warm and inviting, and that he always feels at ease and welcome here. He followed it up by saying, "I can just feel the love in this house."  That comment really struck a cord in me...


One of my favorite views.


When I've had so many people say so many positive things, it has occurred to me that it's not the size or the price that should matter to me; it obviously doesn't matter to those who are important to us and really know who we are. What matters is that my husband and son have a place that is clean and welcoming to come home to every day; a house that is a home. What matters is how people feel when they come to visit, not if they're impressed by the size. What matters is if a house is truly a home and welcoming to all those who enter. What matters is that what it says to the right, in the "About Me" section of my blog page, is true...Mine is a place where the coffee is always hot, the wine is always chilled, the food is always good, and the conversation is always welcome...I've put my personality and my heart into my house and made it a home, and I am so glad that people can feel that when they walk in...

I must always keep things in perspective and be very grateful for what I DO have, and always keep in mind what really matters...


Proud to be a Burbank.

I love to display photographs.













Until next time, thank you so much for stopping by...stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right! A home is what you make it, no matter the size. I just LOVE that Burbank sign. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that we sometimes feel like we need to "keep up with the Jones" lol...Thank you! One of our friends made that for us when we got married. :)

      Delete
  2. I also LOVE your Burbank sign!! Great post and I love your home! I picture myself drinking coffee looking at your favorite view! :)

    Gonna steal this post idea by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! Thank you so much, GF!...And one day we will have to make that happen! We can sit in the easy chairs, drink our coffee, and laugh ourselves silly! :)...Steal away, I'd be flattered! I'm so glad you like it! :)

      Delete