Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's In A Name?


What's in a name?  Do you assume things about people because of their name?  A lot can be, and has been, assumed about me because of my name...Trinity.  My name is Latin and, roughly translated, it means the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Many people assume I got my name because of my parents' religious affiliation.  I've had many people say, "Your parents must be really religious to have named you Trinity." That would be an easy thing to assume and a simple explanation, and even quite sweet, but maybe a bit boring compared to how I really got my name.  I am actually not Catholic (I have been asked that a lot), but I'll save my religious affiliation for another blog post because it's complicated and could end up being a long post (I'm from Utah, and I drink coffee and wine...you do the math).  My name actually was an idea my parents got from a friend who got the idea from some old Clint Eastwood style, Italian spaghetti westerns (my dad is a huge fan of spaghetti westerns and old westerns), My Name is Trinity (1970) and Trinity is STILL My Name (1971).  That, of course, is where I got the idea for the name of my blog as well.  That's right, the name Trinity also belonged to a man who was a goofy and crazy cowboy. I'm kind of quirky, goofy, and maybe a little crazy, so it's actually quite fitting! (hahaha *wink*)

So, the majority of people have assumed that my name had to do with religion...But, there is the younger generation of The Matrix fans who have said things like, "OMG! Your name is Trinity?! How cool! Like that badass girl in The Matrix!" And there have been rare cases where people were amused by my name.  Well, you see, when I was in high school I waited tables at a local restaurant called the Red Baron, and we had a night manager, Cole, who was always joking around. He made a name tag for himself that said "His Majesty." He seated some people in my area and they had a good laugh at his name tag.  Well, when I came up to the table, one lady started laughing and said, "That one is even better! Hahaha, Trinity!" She was embarrassed and apologetic when I told her that it was in fact my name.  I wasn't offended; it WAS funny...and they left a great tip!  But there have been a select few who have actually asked, "Hey, have you seen those western movies?! They are so funny!" ...I've never actually watched them; I guess I really should do that one of these days...my dad would be so proud...  

On a side note, my middle name is also interesting.  My middle name is Cass.  Can you guess my middle namesake?  If you guessed Cass Elliot (Mama Cass) from the Mamas & the Papas, you'd be right! My parents loved them.  That name is also somewhat fitting; I grew up singing in a choir and could sing pretty well.  I can still sing pretty well...ish...

Well, until next time, thank you for stopping by. Stay tuned... 

5 comments:

  1. My name is still way more interesting....no matter how your parents came up with the idea for your name. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Mj, don't worry, I would never try to steal your most-interesting-name title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! I really love history! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really!? Have to admit the first person I thought was the chick from Matrix too. Gr8 history and cool name!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shannon & Celeste, thank you so much, GFs! You two are awesome!

    ReplyDelete