Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Houses and Towns That Built Me-part 1




Historic Main Street

 I was born and raised in a small town in Northern Utah called Brigham City. Like the majority of cities in Utah, Brigham is a predominantly Mormon community.  Like most towns, it has grown a lot through the years.  There used to be a lot of fields, and cherry and peach orchards (for those not familiar with northern Utah, besides great snow, we are known for our fabulous peaches) where there are now big houses, apartment complexes, and strip malls.  When I was little, there were quite a few family restaurants and only one or two fast-food places.  Now there are only one or two family restaurants and southern Main Street is "fast-food row." We usually had to drive south to Ogden if there was something special we wanted to shop for or if we wanted to go to a mall; it is still that way to some extent.  Living in a small town has its inconveniences, but it definitely has its up side too. The pros and cons are all a matter of perspective, I guess; one man's pro is another's con and visa versa, but I, for the most part, feel very blessed to have grown up in a small town. The cons of a small Mormon community are that some of the people can be a bit behind the times and narrow minded, live in a bit of a bubble, and in a small town, people tend to snoop and be in everybody's business. The pros are the emphasis on and importance of family, the strong sense of community, and neighbors look out for and care for one another. There is also something appealing about the quiet of a small town.  Another thing I love about Brigham is that it really is a beautiful town in a fantastic location.  We have rural communities just to the north and south, vast farmland and wetlands to the west, and absolutely gorgeous and awe-inspiring mountains to the east.  Not to mention the fact that we have an abundance of trees, which (for me) just adds to the appeal. The portion of main street in the center of town is historic with all its old buildings, very quaint and picturesque.  I used to think I wanted to live in a big city, but now I appreciate my small town.  It, after all, helped "build" me into the person I am today.  I also have some strong country ties, but I will talk about those in part 2 of this blog post...stay tuned!... 

A great view of The Chamber of Commerce, The Old
Courthose, and our beautiful mountains!

The Old Courthouse



14 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!! I have one of The Capitol Theater that I had blown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mj! That's a pic I wish I would have included too, one of the Capitol Theater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I have never been to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is beautiful; you should visit sometime. And thank you for checking out my blog. Please come back soon! :)

      Delete
  4. It is interesting to think back to the places we've lived and seen how they have shaped us in some way or another. visiting from comment hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we realize just how much they shape us until we're older...thank you so much for stopping by! Please visit again soon! :)

      Delete
  5. I've only been to Utah once, but would love to go back! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from comment hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely come back!…you're so welcome, and thank you for stopping by! Stop by again! :)

      Delete
  6. I visited Utah once years ago while visiting my (ex)in-laws in Idaho. I remember eating at a restaurant where the tables were designed to resemble frontier wagons from back in the day. I can't remember the name but the food was AWESOME!!! I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

    #CommentHour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the restaurant was the Prarie Schooner in Ogden, UT. That is one of my favorite places! The food there is definitely awesome!!... I'm so glad you stopped by, and please do come back! :)

      Delete
  7. Never been there, but I've heard (and seen), that it's beautiful! Thanks for sharing Trin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just need to be changing the fact that you've never been here! ;)

      Delete
  8. I lived in a small town in California when I was little and I have lived in mostly big towns and cities the rest of the time. I much prefer smaller town life to the hustle and bustle of the big city. Maybe some day I will be able to move back to a small town and enjoy the slower pace.

    Peace,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! Small towns are the best... Thank you so much for stopping by, and please come back again. :)

      Delete